As a business, large or small, good copy is essential for success. When writing copy for a website or social media it is important to have an understanding of which keywords you’re targeting. Click here to learn how to find the best SEO keywords for your business. Once you know which keywords to include in your copy you can start to develop your message. While developing your message be sure to keep your audience in mind. You want to provide useful information with supportive details without overcomplicating it. If you have a lot of information to share break it down into small chunks that are easy to consume. Keep the following copywriting tips in mind to successfully captivate and engage your online audience.
1. Write Eye-Catching Headlines: A great headline grabs the attention of the reader and gives him or her a compelling reason to start reading. It should answer the questions Why should I read this? and What benefits do I get in return for the time I’m giving you in reading this? Your headline should directly or implicitly answer those questions, which in turn gives the reader a reason to give you the time of day. To get you started, let’s look at a few ways to write some great headlines:
- Get to the point: use a direct headline like Get 25% off when you call us now!, Get a free bonus when you buy this week, or 100% All-Natural and Organic Ingredients.
- Give a reason why: use a list of reasons or state a number benefits to support headlines like Ten Ways to Live Longer, Three Things You Need To Know About Investing, or Five Things You Can Do To Save More Now.
- Use your authority: give the reader a direct command to do something by using a headline like Join now and start saving or Don’t miss out call today!
2. Make Your Content Skimmable : Keep your paragraphs short and to-the-point as much as possible. Too much information can overwhelm a reader to the point that he or she may lose interest and stop reading altogether. Use sub-headers to organize your content into logical sections. Have you noticed how we naturally tend to write phone numbers in groups of three-four-digit combinations The mind organizes information into chunks that are easier to process and absorb piece-by-piece, as opposed to one homogenous blob of information at once; this is true for any amount of information, small or large. Use numbered lists or bullet point lists. Lists are a great way to organize information concisely in a way that s easy to remember. This is one reason that listicles make up some of the most read and shared articles on the internet, and it s also a great way to convey benefits (and features!) quickly, if the medium and material allows for it.
3. Convey the Benefits Clearly: You need to write in such a way that your reader understands what he or she will get out of what you re offering. Tell them how they will benefit if they take advantage of your product or service. If you are marketing a product or service that caters to a more technically-inclined audience, you can include the specific features of your offer. Remember: The benefits must come first, and the features that support these benefits can be included if appropriate.
4. Write in a Natural Way: A great way to connect to your customers is to write as if you are having a friendly conversation with them. Of course, this doesn t mean that you can drop all semblance of professionalism and just start shooting the breeze; be polite, but show warmth and sincerity in your writing. You can do this by avoiding technical and business jargon (unless absolutely necessary), and by writing at least three of the most important benefits (and the features that support those benefits, if appropriate) in a concise, conversational manner.
Don’t miss these 3 Additional Tips for Using Numbers in your Small Business Copy:
Copywriting is an important piece of your content marketing strategy. Click to learn more about Content Marketing for Social Media & SEO.
Looking to improve your website’s copy? Call Brainjar Media at 503.492.6500 to start optimizing your business today!
SRC: Click to read more Copywriting Tips.